Saturday 5 March 2016

More Wildlife of the Wetlands

All the photos in this blog will expand if you click on them.
 
Some nice activity recently. So pleased to be out with my camera on a nice day!


First up is this Roe Deer caught relaxing at #RSPB Ham Wall a short while back. It had found a nice sunny corner out of the wind and seemed quite happy for me to snap away from a distance.
 

Then there was this pair of Canada Geese. After mating they performed a short dance, raising their wings and necks. Very pretty.


There were quite a lot of Canada Geese flying aroung too. Here is an attractive gaggle in flight.


I think the highlight of my recent visit to Ham Wall was this Great Crested Grebe. To my astonishment I counted it catching seven or eight sizeable fish in a period of little over an hour! Amazing appetite.



Some ducks in flight too, like this Gadwall. When I see ducks take to the air at Ham Wall I am always on the look out for a possible Otter. Sadly, I did not spot one on this occasion.



The other site I have been frequenting recently is #Seaton Wetlands. It can often be quiet on the wildlife front there, but not yesterday! 

First delight was the resident Glossy Ibis. You cannot always guarantee seeing it, and sure enough at first it was not evident. Suddenly though it flew into view at the Seaton Marshed hide. The light was not good for photographing a dark bird, but got some shots.


It hung around for about half an hour, sometimes flying and sometimes feeding along the water's edge.




It has been at Seaton since last November. No idea whether it will stay longer but it seems very content.

Whilst nothing else was going on, this Dunnock perched nearby and serenaded me. Lovely sound of Spring.


Curlews are supposed to be becoming more rare, but there were quite a few at Seaton, including this joyous individual taking a run along the mud.


But the best excitement was a Fox. I always get excited at the prospect of a Fox photo. When I first spotted it it was some way away. I feared it would not come any closer so I took a distant snap.


Sure enough, after it had looked in my direction for a while, it moved off away from me. But all was not lost! I have seen this Fox doing its rounds before so I focussed my attention on the Tram Lines, he often comes back that way. 

First sign that it was approaching was some calling Crows, then two rabbits quickly scampered down the bank to safety. Within seconds it came into view. A fine portrait!


I am gradually learning that success in wildlife photography depends a lot on being able to anticipate the subjects next move. Not always possible of course, but it sometimes makes the difference.

Please visit my main website at www.johncrabb.co.uk and follow my activities on www.facebook.com/johncrabbwildlifeimages

Thanks!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment